Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Embroidered Pillowcase

For my third pillowcase I decided to embroider a W.  I was really having mixed feelings about it because it didn't turn out how I had planned but it has grown on me and the more I look at it the more I like it. 

Materials Needed:
Felt
2 18" x 12" pieces of material
1 18" square

1) Pick your font and print it.  I choose American Typewriter bold and made it as big as possible to fit onto one page.

2) Pin it to the felt and cut it out along with the felt.
I wanted my letter to be out of more than just felt so I went ahead and also made a letter out of scrap from the pillowcase.  If you want felt only then skip steps 3-6.  Also keep in mind that felt might be all that is possible for some letters because it needs to be turned inside out. Or maybe you could figure it out.  I'm not sure.

3)Place the felt on top of the material and cut around it adding a half inch on all sides.  Do this two times and pin the right sides together.
4)  Sew around the edges of the letter leaving two inches on one end open. Turn it inside out.  (again not sure how this would work with some letters)  I almost gave up at least 3 times while trying to turn it inside out.  But I did manage it.  Then fold the not sewn part under and iron it.
5) Pin the felt onto the front of the 18" square and do a zig zag stitch around the edges.  I messed this part up so bad.  So I pretend I was going for the "messy" look.

6) Straight stitch the fabric letter on top.

To finish out the pillowcase go here and follow steps 6-8.
Three down one more pillow to go!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I love the monogram pillow! Just on Saturday I bought some fabric to make one too:)

Lorraine Butler said...

I think one of the really cool things about creative people is how they work through the process of doing something--and find ways to make their project more satisfactory as they do it over and over (sometimes). Way to go!!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

This is SO cute! I'm a dork I know, but immediately I recognized the American typewrite front (which I LOVE!). Great choice! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

Cassidy said...

Wow really LOVE this one!