Monday, April 2, 2012

182 General Conference

There were so many good talks over conference weekend but the one that I keep thinking about was by Elder Holland.  He retold a parable:

Found in Matthew 20:1–15, the parable tells of a householder who employed groups of workers at various times throughout the day to meet the evolving urgency of the harvest. At the end of the work day, all the workers gathered to receive their day’s wages. Surprisingly, all received the same wage in spite of their different hours of labor. Those who had been hired first in the early morning were angry because those who had labored but an hour received an equal share.
Some who read the parable, said Elder Holland, may agree with the first wave of workers that an injustice had occurred. “It is important to note that no one has been treated unfairly here. The first workers agreed to the full wage of the day and received it.”
“Brothers and sisters, there are going to be times in our lives when someone else gets an unexpected blessing or receives some special recognition,” he said. “May I plead with us not to be hurt—and certainly not to feel envious—when good fortune comes to another. We are not diminished when someone else is added upon. We are not in a race against each other to see who is the wealthiest or the most talented or the most beautiful or even the most blessed.
The reason I keep thinking about this talk is because I think I would be mad if I was in the group of the first workers.  I mean they did more work so it makes sense that they should get more pay.  I just have it stuck in my mind that everything should be fair.  And not only fair but even.  I feel like if someone else has it or gets to do something than I should be able to too.  I guess this is something I need to work on!
I mentioned before that I planned a few things for the kids to do durning conference.  On saturday they colored conference packets and played with their busy bags.  
Then on Sunday when Grandma and Grandpa Swift and Caleb came over we got out the tent so they could be like the people listening to King Benjamin.  We thought it was funny when this got mentioned during conference.  We also had candy and everyone got to eat a jelly bean when certain decided upon words were said.  Then we ate snickers when the audience laughed and hugs when someone cried.  We didn't really get any hugs this time.

 Between sessions we continued our new tradition of waffles and ice cream.  Below is my creation.
I am so thankful that we have a living prophet on the earth today.  For more information about that, or to hear/read the weekends conference addresses go here.

Later in the week I will post all about the fun April Fools Day pranks we pulled!

Today I am guest blogging over at Winthrop Chronicles.  Check it out.


No comments: