These sock monkeys are so adorable. I've seen them around in stores but instead of buying another stuffed animal, we have a ton, I decided to make my own. Even better, I cut apart two old stuffed animals and took their stuffing to use for my knew sock monkeys! Just don't tell my kids, ok?
These monkeys are very easy to make, but can be a little time consuming because there is a lot of hand sewing. You barely use a machine at all so it is a very easy beginner level project. Even if you make a mistake here or there, I made a few, they still look cute. And could they be another great Christmas present.
pair of women's knee length socks
two black buttons
black embroidery thread
1) Turn your socks inside out and mark where you will sew them. My top sock is the body and the legs. The other sock has the tail, both arms, both ears, and the nose. The full length of the sock will make long arms, legs, and tail so you might want to shorten it like I did on my second monkey.
Sew along either side of the lines. Leave one inch at the top of the legs unsewn and Make sure you have room to cut between the arms, legs, and tail. The first time I didn't and had problems. Your feet should be closed off on the end and the arms and tail should be closed on one end.
2) Turn it right side out through the crotch area and stuff it.
3) Hand sew it up.
4) Stuff the tail and hand sew it on. Do the same for the arms. I placed the arms around the middle of the body.
5) Cut out felt eyes, and sew the buttons on. Hand sew the eyes in place. Place them on the top third of the monkey's body. On this first one I put them a little lower than I like.
6) Sew the nose on, then stuff it when you have one inch left to sew. Then finish sewing it. I had to do this twice because the first time I started to put in on the wrong direction.
7) Sew on the ears just like the nose.
8) Embroider the mouth and you are done!
If you like the sock monkey's don't forget to pin them! And if you use the tutorial for your blog please link back :)
Don't forget to check back to yesterday's post and sign up for the Hot Glue Gun Giveaway!