Monday, July 21, 2014

Fire Escape

For some reason I feel like I already posted about this, but when I looked back on the blog I couldn't find it.  So sorry if you already saw this.

Every year at least once for family home evening we like to practice fire drills.  This year was no exception.  Especially now with the kids getting older they can be more responsible for their own safety.  So we went from room to room and talked about escape routes and then practiced them.  We found the fire extinguishers.

We went over how important it is to get themselves out and not to worry about their stuff.  They are supposed to shout fire, so others know, and then crawl out of the house and to the designated meeting spot.  We also talked about feeling the door to see if it is hot.  It was a lot of fun and everyone was enjoying it until we went upstairs.

I seemed to be the only one who wanted to actually practice climbing out the window.  We have a escape ladder and I thought we should really test it out.  I've done it several times as a kid but it was a little scarier then I remember.  So we all went out the window. Bob went first and carried Penelope down, then he climbed back up and helped Tucker, then one more time with Scarlett.  Scarlett was the least scared of the kids.  I wend down alone and we decided not to bring Leon down.


We also practiced climbing out onto the roof and then down onto the swing set.  Scarlett almost gave me a heart attack because she had no fear and just ran around on the roof.

I hope that we will never have to escape from a real fire, but I take comfort knowing that we are prepared.

Our neighbors had a fire a few months back and it was pretty scary.  Everyone was fine, but we did have 7 emergency vehicles on our street.


No comments: