Wednesday, December 17, 2014

How to Make your own Stump Christmas Tree Stand DIY

For our artificial tree I wanted to make a tree stand.  I've seen cute ones with buckets and baskets, but I wanted to make mine out of a stump.  It was a little bit harder then I expected but still very simple and not bad.  This tutorial explains how to make a Christmas tree stand using a stump or log.

1) Find your stump.  Look for something 12 inches tall and 14-18 inches in diameter.  Mine is 16 inches across.  This was surprisingly hard.  I'm sure for some it will be a piece of cake, but it probably just depends where you live.  I emailed a few people on craigslist selling firewood but came up with nothing.  I posted it on facebook and didn't find anything local.  Finally I found a spot where they were clearing the land for construction and found a good log.  It was too heavy for bob to lift so we got help from a friend to lift it into his truck and get it home.  This was the hardest step for me.
2) Once you have your log you need to cut it to size.  We borrowed a chain saw for this.
3.  Lastly you need to measure the width of your tree and drill a whole in the log.  Luckily I have a husband to do these sorts of things for me, so I'm not sure the details on how he did it.
Just stick your tree in and TaDa a new tree stand.
Much better then the fake plastic legs it had before!

1 comment:

Talitha said...

Cute Idea, Maybe I'll have to try it next year.