Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Parking Duty

Twice a year when our ward does stake conference our building gets really packed.  So packed that we can't park the cars in the regular way.  Instead we do ferry style parking, meaning bumper to bumper, to fit more cars in.  It is always stressful for me because I don't like the idea of being blocked in.  What if the kids are crazy and I just want to sneak out early?  It isn't really possible because we are blocked in and everyone has to leave at the same time.

I understand it is the only way to fit that many cars in the parking lot.  We usually don't have to wait too long afterwards to get out.  I think mostly everyone can be out of the parking lot in about 15 minutes.

Anyway, there are always men directing this whole parking situation.  So when we were in our combined meeting and they passed around the sign up sheet I went ahead and signed up.  I got a call later asking if I really wanted to participate because usually only men do this.  I assured them that I did and arrived the full 2 hours early for my duty.

Bob took a picture of me as he pulled in.

I loved it!  Because I was so early I got to save us a seat in the chapel, we are never early enough for that.  And Bob got to get all the kids ready so I didn't have to deal with that either.  We didn't get rained on, which was a concern.  Over all it was pretty fun.  I just stood outside and pointed which way the cars should go.

Below is a map of the parking lot.  The whole thing is very organized.  We had vests and walkie talkies.  They would say over the walkies which row we were on and things like that.
I think I'll sign up again next time if they let me.  Someone did say that it was the first time in the 20 years that they been doing this that a woman has helped but that they were grateful for my service.

Don't forget to enter the giveaway on yesterdays post!


2 comments:

Sister Swift said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gayle Daly said...

I bet the members loved seeing your beautiful happy face on the way in. What a nice change! Good for you!!!