Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Dentist in Japan

I've been putting off taking the kids to the dentist since we moved to Japan.  I loved our old pediatric dentist in Washington and I just didn't know what this would be like.  We have to pay for all our medical upfront and then file our own insurance claims to get reimbursed, so that is a hassle.  I also wasn't sure how the language barrier would go.  But I have to say everything went pretty well.  In fact we had a 4pm appointment for four of my kids and we were out the door by 4:30.  It was amazing.

The waiting area was small compared to the states but it was cute and had the perfect little play place.  They also had a cartoon on that didn't require any speaking.
The staff spoke english to us and was very helpful with the insurance forms.
The kids were nervous this time for cavities.  I kind of was too.  We only have preventative insurance so any fillings we pay for 100% on our own. 
 Thankfully all their brushing and flossing paid off and they are still cavity free!  Whew!
We are watching, and budgeting,  to see if braces will be in their future and for now the jury is still out.
Notice how Calista has her shoes off?  That is normal in Japan.  This play area is carpeted and it was expected that anyone going on it takes their shoes off.  They even had courtesy slippers you can put on if you prefer not to be barefoot.
Because of the dentist location it is easier for us to just ride the train there.  Once finished we walked around a little downtown and found the yummy bread truck.
Now that the kids have gone it is time for me to stop procrastinating my own appointment.

No comments: