Sunday, September 23, 2018

Eating Gold in Kamakura

Kamakura was once upon a time the capitol of Japan and so is therefore full of shrines and tourists.  We decided to spend a day there with my parents.
After walking though a busy little street we made it to a large shrine and the main tourist stop.  I was perfectly happy staying at the bottom of the stairs because I've been to this shrine several times before and it really isn't all that different form the many shrines all over Japan.
Calista on the other hand had a different plan.  She really wanted to go up the million steps.  Lets just say it took her a while.
I think this next picture is where people tied up their fortunes.  You can pay to get a fortune at the top.  We have never done it and I don't really want to.
Next was the tori gates and more stairs.  This time she was happy to wait at the bottom.  I already knew there wasn't much at the top.  I really wanted her to just run around a bit before she went back down the stairs and then back into the stroller.

There are tons of little animal cafes or different things to do in Kamakura, but I really wanted to try the gold ice cream. 
It was a vanilla ice cream cone with a sheet of real gold on top.  I thought it was pretty cool that we got to eat gold.  Bob wasn't there but I'm sure he would have thought it was a waste of money. 
In the end it wasn't that flavorful at all and I don't see why I would do it again, but I'm glad we got the experience.
We also stopped at this vendor and my parents got some street food.
Then we went to McDonalds and actually ate lunch before heading home.  This was our second time going to McDonalds in Japan (not counting the American one on base) and Tucker once again wouldn't eat his McChicken because it had cheese on it.  Hopefully next time we will remember before I order him one.

No comments: