Monday, December 10, 2018

Mochi Pounding

I've eaten mochi, and learned about mochi pounding.  But this was our first time participating or even watching live mochi pounding.  It was pretty exciting for me to get to participate in a local Japanese tradition.  Our neighborhood gets together every year around Christmastime for their annual mochi pounding festival.

First they steam the rice over fire.
Then it is time for pounding.



Next it gets formed into balls and different things can be added to the outside.
 And last we got to eat it!



The kids had mixed feelings, but I liked it.  One of the kinds we tried was sweet, I prefer the one with seaweed wrapped around the outside.  The kids seemed to like the one with the purple potato on top.

Here is a fun video to explain more about mochi pounding.


1 comment:

Talitha said...

Fun, that's what I wanted to see!