Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Flattop Hike

Ok, so I really like hiking!  On our second day in Alaska I dragged everyone on yet another hike.  This was my first time hiking flattop, but I really wanted to do it because I think it is one of the most popular hikes in Anchorage.
 Honestly, it was more of a challenge than I anticipated.  I thought because it is so popular that it wasn't going to be a serious hike.  But The last bit, was a challenge.

I'm pretty sure we didn't go on the actual trail.  We couldn't really find it and kept getting off of it and just ended up climbing up the rocks.  I heard lots of people talking about how there used to be one clear path, but now because it gets so much use there are lots of small paths up and it is hard to see the original way.  I'd have to agree.


 The harder the hike the more rewarding it is when you get to the top. 
We stopped and ate lunch at the top.  There was a guy getting ready to hang glide off the top.  We ended up heading back down before he took off, but we saw him later when we were about half way down and he was flying. 


Oh and it was our 13th wedding anniversary!  I love that we got to spend the whole day together!  We didn't do anything alone, but for me it was better because bob didn't have to go to work or anything.
The way back down was a little scary, but we managed ok.

 There was just some climbing down, which can be tricky. 
I'm glad I wasn't carrying Calista, because she leans a lot and that can make balancing hard.  In this picture she wanted down, she wasn't scared at all, just bored of being carried.


It was a great hike and I'm glad we got to do it.

No comments: