Thursday, October 1, 2020

Natto

Natto is a common Japanese food that can be eaten plain or with rice.  It is fermented soy beans.  Many people like it for breakfast but it really can be eaten any time of the day.  I went grocery shopping with a Japanese friend and she sowed me some food items to try.  There was a whole area of Natto with many options.     
I was warned that many foreigners do not like natto, but I thought I might like it anyway.  I love kimchi and that is fermented cabbage.  I also think I am pretty open minded about food and can eat mostly anything.  I would not consider myself picky.  In fact often eat something because it is easy or convenient even when I don't like it.

It came in a cute little package with it's own mustard and soy sauce type dressing.
I mixed it all up and gave it a try.
It was disgusting!  It smelled rancid and was probably the worst thing I've ever had in my life.  I am not exaggerating.  I have no idea how Japanese people eat and like this.
I couldn't even get Beatrix to eat it and she loves plain beans, plain yogurt, or bone broth straight.  I thought if anyone in our family would it it it would be her.  The smell is hard to get over but I did force a bean into her mouth.  She instantly started crying and spit it out.  She really tried hard to stop me from feeding her any more.  I've never seen her dislike any food so much.  But I get it.
I'm curious as to if anyone likes natto who wasn't raised on it.  I forced down a couple bites but couldn't finish the container.  I even tried it one more time that night with Bob, but it was just as bad the second time around.

Calista would not eat it, but she did want me to take a picture of her eating her cereal.

No comments: