Monday, December 22, 2014

Popcorn Cake Recipe

This popcorn cake was my Grandma's recipe and it is so good.  I remember her making it every Christmas we saw her and I always looked forward to it.  Even now I can remember being upset because with one cake and eight kids in my family I never got as much as I wanted.

My grandma recently passed away and so I wanted to make it this year in her honor.  She was a great lady who was married to her husband for 67 years.  Can you believe it?  That is so long.  I love to see couples who have been married for a long time, one day that will be me and Bob.  The kids helped me measure and we talked about Grandma while we made it.  Hopefully I'll be able to do it every year.   Below is her recipe.

Popcorn Cake

Ingredients

4 quarts popped popcorn (I needed closer to 6 to get the right consistency...think rice crispy treats)
1 pound candy-coated chocolate pieces (I didn't have enough so I added chocolate chips to make it up, that is why my cake is more brown then it should be)
1 cup peanuts
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup butter
1 pound marshmallows

 

Directions

Mix popcorn, M&Ms, and peanuts in large bowl.
Heat oil, butter, and marshmallows in pan until melted (I used the microwave). Pour over popcorn and blend together with heavy spoon or hands.
Spray Bundt cake pan with vegetable spray. Press mixture lightly into pan and refrigerate until cool.

To remove cake from pan, put pan in warm water, then turn upside down until cake comes out.


We devoured this cake pretty fast.  Next time I might have to  make two!

P.S. Today is Bob's birthday!  Happy Birthday Bob!

1 comment:

Talitha said...

Awe, how sweet! Makes me miss Grandma too! Her popcorn cake was the best!