Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Wildlife Hike

For cub scouts last week we went on a 1 mile wilderness hike.  The boys got to run around and see nature, it was fun.  Many of the activities trying to get the boys to listen is like pulling teeth.  But letting them be outside and explore was more enjoyable for everyone.
We identified a few plants, read about how the salmon swim through here, and even saw where a beaver cut down a tree.  We also saw ducks, birds, bugs, and caterpillars, not to mention dogs.

Being a den leader is probably my least favorite calling that I've had yet, but I'm trying.  So many people have told me how much they love it.  That they boys are so fun and energetic.  I on the other hand do not look forward to or enjoy most of the scout type activities.  I'm just not really interested in making a compost or tying knots.  Plus I feel like these boys need boy leaders.  It isn't like we would have men leading the Faith in God girls groups.  I'll probably get the hand of it right when I get released.

2 comments:

Gayle Daly said...

Fred and I were den leaders for about 2 months. Hated it. Scouts is not for everyone. I agree a male leader would be more appropriate for little boys. Silverdale 1st doesn't have much depth for callings. You have my sympathy and empathy while you serve in Cubs.

Mary-Anne said...

I always think it's weird when women are called to be Scout leaders too! I've never had it (knock on wood!!) and I don't think I would enjoy it very much either. But good for you for trying!! :)