Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Sasebo House

We moved into our house over a month ago now and I've been meaning to edit this video to share what our house it like.  I haven't really had time so I'm just uploading it as is.  This is me walking through the house just before/as the movers arrive to bring our stuff in.  Later I'll try to update with our things inside because it is pretty bare.  This is a pretty good look at a traditional Japanese house.  It is very large for Japanese standards at 2500 square feet.  It is the biggest house I've seen in the 4 1/2 years we've been in Japan.  This house has three bedrooms and two bathrooms.  It is also very custom.  This house is not cookie cutter.  I think whomever built it in 1995 had some serious money to spend.  Of course now it is pretty dated and not modern at all, but I would guess that at the time it was built it was pretty fancy.

While this house did not have many of the things we were looking for we decided to go with it because our options were very very limited.  We were able to took at everything that was available at the time and also that had become available over the past three months and this was the best.  It is big enough for our family and close enough to base that Tucker and Bob can ride their bikes.  It was frustrating because the house cost less than half of our budget but the base housing people refuse to list anything more expensive.  The main cons for the house is that it is not in a neighborhood and there are no Americans around.  It feels very isolating.  The bus stop is also a mile away and the house is at the top of a small windy Japanese hill that only has a sidewalk partway, making a dangerous walk home for the kids.  

I'm sure with time I'll grow to like the house more, but for now it is fulfilling all of our needs and I'm ok with that.
 


1 comment:

Jacquelyn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.