Thursday, December 2, 2010

Christmas Crafts

I tried to make Christmassy red and white curly ribbon bows.  For those who don't know you make them by wrapping the ribbon around a wooden dowel or pencil and then bake them in the oven at a low temp.  The heat makes the ribbon to hold the curly shape.  I didn't have any wooden dowels and I didn't want to use pencils because last time I used them the color of the pencil got onto the ribbon so I tried to use pens.  For some reason all I could find were gel pens.  They melted everywhere and the ink even broke out through the plastic.  Lesson learned, don't put gel pens in the oven.

 I threw the pens away but did manage to save the ribbon and still make the bows.
After that Tucker and I worked on making our own Christmas cards. We dipped cookie cutters in glue, then pressed them onto the paper and covered the shapes with glitter.  It was pretty simple and fun for both me and Tucker.  As part of my attempt to center our Christmas on Christ we made a special card for Jesus and put it on the tree.  I am also trying to get a lot of things done early so we don't have to worry about it later.

I didn't post a picture of our house with the light up so here it is.

2 comments:

KariMarie said...

Look who is Mrs. Crafty now!!! Good work! The pens....um, yeah no comment. :)

The Abel family said...

That is pretty funny about the pens Dorands :) Maybe if you put foil around the pencils before wrapping the ribbon around them. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the color transferring. Or you could just us a small curling iron and forget the oven. Just thinking....