Wednesday, January 26, 2011

1st Dentist Appointment

This morning I took Tucker to his first dentist appointment.  Our pediatrician has been telling me he needs to go since he turned one but I asked a dentist and they didn't think it was necessary until they were 3 so we waited.  I had just recently got some dental work done so Tucker knew that I went to the dentist and was very excited that he was going to get to go.  I practiced with him and told him how he needs to hold his mouth open because they are going to brush his teeth.  He then asked if it was going to be in the bathroom and if he is going to get to sit on the sink (he usually sits up on the sink when we brush his teeth).  I thought that was pretty funny, then I explained the cool chair that moves and that it is in a dentist office which is like the doctors office.  Instead of taking him to our dentist we took him to a children's dentist.  I didn't know they had these until I started thinking about taking Tucker and I thought it would be a good choice just in case he didn't want to open his mouth or something.  I am glad I took him there.  Tucker had so much fun!  he is very excited to go to the dentist again.  I was only a little disappointed when i found out that I didn't get to go back with him so I couldn't really see him in the chair.  They had one small window I could look through but I could barely see.  It was neat to look through the window and see a bunch of toddlers with their dental assistants.  Tucker got to pick out a toy and I saw him playing with stuffed animals while he was waiting for his turn with the dentist.  Then after Tucker was finished they came and got me and we met in an office where the dentist showed me the x-rays and talked to me about Tucker's teeth.  he said that he doesn't have any cavities but that he does have an overbite.  he said that Tucker will probably need orthodontic work in the future but we will not need to think about that until he is about 10 or so.  It was kind of cool to see the x-rays because I could see his big teeth too and I had no idea they would be there already.
Here he is opening his mouth for us and showing off his new spongebob toothbrush and toothpaste along with the two stickers he got.  He did such a good job.  The dentist even asked me if I talked to him about it beforehand because right when Tucker laid down on the chair he opened his mouth without anyone asking.  I felt bad for the mom next to me whose little girl was scared to go back by herself and thought I might be seeing a glimpse of what it will be like for Penelope.
I made him smile to show off his pretty teeth.

No comments: