Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Shag Pillow Case Tutorial

Happy Valentines day everyone!  This tutorial explains how to make a shag pillowcase.  It is easily the coolest pillow we own.  It is so soft and comfy.  Just looking at it makes me want to lay down on the couch.  Maybe that is not such a good thing.  This pillow case is pretty easy to make but it is very time consuming.  At least for me it was.  I figured that if I got paid about the same Bob gets paid per hour to make this pillow it would be worth somewhere around $400.  This took hours/days to make.  It was simple to do but took way longer than I thought it would. Keep in mind I am a beginner so it will probably be faster for you.

Materials needed: for 18" shag pillowcase cover
1-2 yards by 60" of Jersey fabric
1 18 1/2" square (can be jersey or other matching fabric)
2 18 1/2" x 12" rectangles (can be jersey or other matching fabric)
sewing machine
matching thread


1.  Start cutting strips down the length of the fabric (about 60") that are 11/2" wide.  I started with 22 strips and almost had to do twice as many more.  I would suggest starting at 20 and then cut more later if you run out.  







2. Cut each strip into 3 1/2" pieces.  I did this while watching tv.  It takes a while.


3. Take the 18 1/2" square and draw lines across the entire thing each one 3/4" apart.
4. Start sewing the shag on making sure to leave about a 1/2 on all sides.  Just grab a piece stick it on and sew right down the middle of it.  I did a stitch or two between each piece and it turned out pretty full.  Don't worry about it being exact.  Just follow the lines you drew.
5. Fold those over and do it again on the next line.  Keep going until you are done.  This is the most tedious and time consuming part. It took me several hours.
When you are done it should look like this.
6. Take the rectangle and fold over one of the 18 1/2" sides.  Then fold it over again, iron it, pin it, and sew it.  Repeat this on the other rectangle.
7. Place the rectangles on top of the square right side facing the shag.  They should over lap each other.  Now pin it.  This can be a little tricky because you have to keep all of the shag in.

8. Once you have it pined just sew around the edges and you are done.



Like I said, easy, beautiful, but very time consuming.  Thats it for the second of 4 pillowcase tutorials.

Don't forget to sign up for the giveaway!  There are not very many entries so you have a good chance of winning.  Who knows maybe it could be a late valentine gift for someone.

9 comments:

Jules w/ LovelyandCo said...

That is adorable! And seriously, it does look super comfy! I've been looking for some new pillowcase ideas and I just might try this! Thanks!

Michelle Johnnie said...

This is amazing! I'm totally in love! I will feature this this evening at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

Susan said...

How cute is this!! This will be a project I'll want to try, thanks for sharing (I saw this on Pinterest).

xoxo
twentyfour7
Susan

Katrine said...

I love this! I will be creating this. Thanks for the tutorial!

Rhissanna said...

Directed here from Someday Crafts. That looks so cool and believe me, I have a heap of discarded t shirts.

Is it washable?

Tanya said...

super cute!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

I LOVE the shag look, and that last picture is so cute! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

Unknown said...

It's perfect! I'm definitely going to make one or two... or three of these -Thanks for the tutorial! :D

Cassidy said...

So pretty and comfy looking. I need to make this!

http://fitcraftystylishandhappy.blogspot.com/