This birthday hat was so easy to make! It probably took less than an hour, I already had everything and it looks so much better than the store bought version. I am excited for Scarletts birthday on Sunday. In case you didn't know, she is turning 1!
Hot glue gun
1) Take the hat apart and trace it's shape onto scrapbook paper.
2) Cut the paper out, put the hat back together and glue the paper on top.
3) Cut the material so it is about 2" wide and twice as long around as the hat is. Then Ruffle the material.
To do this just sew with a wide stitch down the center of the material making sure not to back stitch at the beginning or end. Then grab the underside thread and pull on it as you gently bunch the fabric. Do this until it is the desired length.
Glue it around the bottom of the hat.
4) Embellish how ever you like. I made little flowers by taking a 3/4" by 10" piece of material and spiraled it. Putting little dots of glue here and there to keep it together. Then I glued them on.
5) Make the pom pom by cutting 1" by 1" squares. I probably did about 10. Then put a dot of hot glue in the center of the square and squeeze it from the back making a little bunch with all the edges pointing up. Once those are all done glue them to the top of the hat.
I wanted to put a #1 on the front of the hat but it wasn't looking right so I left it off.
That's it. Now you have your own super cute birthday hat!