Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bow Belt DIY Tutorial

I love this bow belt!  I have seen them around especially on Etsy so I decided to make my own.  There are tons of different tutorials and different ways to make them so here is my take on how to make the bow belt.  I got most of what I did from this pintrest pin.

Materials Needed:
Fabric Pieces: belt piece, your waist measurement plus 4"x4"
bow, 12" x 4 1/2"
knot, 3" x 3"

Interfacing, 1 1/2" by the length of belt piece minus 1"
3 Hooks (not sure what to call them but they are the bra kind)
Sewing Machine
Thread

1) Iron the interfacing to the wrong side of the belt piece.  leave a half inch on two of the edges.

2) Fold the belt piece in half, right sides together.  Pin it and sew three sides of it leaving one small side open.
3) Turn it right side out but pulling it through itself.  Then iron the open end in on itself and sew it shut (do it by hand using an invisible stitch if you are picky or if you are like me just use the sewing machine and don't care if you can see a little stitching).
4) Repeat steps 2 and three on both the bow piece and the knot piece.  Once that is done, take the bow piece and fold both ends on top of each other to the middle back (see pic).  Then hand sew a few loose stitches (seriously, I broke a needle trying to use the machine) and pull them tight forcing it to bunch.
5) Hot glue the knot piece onto the middle.  Make sure it is centered and the bunches look good.
6) Hand sew your hooks in place.  I had to put the belt on several times to make sure I was getting the placement right.  I  did two for the middle and one hook to hold the upper part of the bow up because it was falling forward.  

That is it you are done!

No comments: