Monday, May 28, 2012

Infinity Scarf Tutorial

It's road trip day for me everyone so Sarah from the Winthrop Chronicles is guest posting.  It is kinda funny because I am guest posting for her as well.  You should check her blog out!

Hello, Watch Out For The Woestman readers! Thanks for letting me guest post today. Doranda has so many crafty ideas and projects I just love her inspiration! She asked me to share with you my infinity scarf tutorial.

I like these because they are pretty hassle free, you don't have to worry about kids pulling your scarf off or needing to make sure it looks ok.

   
To make the scarf:
1. Cut one large rectangular piece of fabric 24 in x 60 in, or however big you want it. Then fold it over on to itself, right side to right side of the fabric and sew the long end, so you will end up with a scarf that is 12 in x 60 in. *But don't sew the entire length, leave about 3 inches in the middle un sewn. You will undersand why later, but you need that opening.
2. Then to sew the 12 inch sides of the fabric, it gets a little tricky because you need to make sure that you are sewing the right side of the fabric to the right side, but you also want to make sure that you are sewing it so that you create one hollow tube of fabric. And because I didn't take many pictures of this, I will try to explain it well. The easiest way would be to put your arm in the long tube scarf *right side of the fabric out. Then take the end of the scarf down by your hand and pull the end up to the other end by your shoulder, so it kind of folds up on itself. Make sure that the seams line up. Hold it tight and shake it out like a pillowcase. You will know you did it right if it looks like a flat rectangle half the length of your scarf with the opening at the top.

Then you will have the correct ends of the scarf ready to be sewn together. As you can see in the picture below, you have to move the fabric in a way around the end of the sewing machine so that you are not sewing the top part of the loop to the bottom. For those of you who already know how to sew, it's just like sewing a sleeve on.
3. Once you have sewn the ends, pull the fabric through the 3 in hole in the fabric.
4. When the scarf is right side out, you will need to hand sew the 3 in opening shut. So just fold over the edges and then take matching thread to sew the opening shut. I have also done this with a little strip of bonding tape. Then you just fold over the edges with a strip of bonding tape in between and iron it shut.
{Here are Elly's little scarves that I made}
{I used some linen to make this scarf, using the same process as mentioned above with the orange scarf}

To make the scarf pins: I used many of the same techniques I used to make Elly's headbands here or this post here. I just added a felt circle on the back and hot glued a 3/4 in bar pin.

3 comments:

Crafting Queen said...

Great tutorial.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

A baby infinity scarf...I'm dying! So cute!

Unknown said...

Great tutorial!!! how long is the baby scarf please? I absolutly need one!!! hahaha