Friday, March 25, 2016

Big Bad Wolf

Penelope's class went on a field trip to see a play titled "Big Bad Wolf."  I went along as a chaperone.  I wasn't sure if I would because I have all the other kids at home, but Bob decided to take the day off work and be a stay-at-home dad for a day so I could go.
Penelope and I decided to dress matching for the occasion.  It was fun and a lot of people noticed.  I was only slightly embarrassed when another adult asked who's idea it was and I had to admit that it was mine.


I had four kids in my group; two girls and two boys.  They did pretty good.  The boys kind of played together and the girls did too.  So it wasn't like four excited kids being crazy.  The only time when it felt a bit crazy was when we had to walk on the sidewalk for a couple blocks to the theatre and half of them ran ahead.  

I made sure to have the kids clean out the car before the field trip.  I've learned from past experience that anything left in the car from our family will be something the school kids laugh and giggle about.  Somehow Scarlett still left a sock in the car, so they kept saying it was stinky and things like that.
The actual play was very cute.  It was a different Big Bad Wolf story that I hadn't heard before and I liked it.  The actors did a good job too.  I could tell that the kids were all excited about it and very into it.  Until one of them had to go to the bathroom for the last ten minutes of the play so I missed the end.  Penelope filled me in though.
Once the play finished we headed to the park for lunch and to play.
We lucked out and had a sunny day.
The kids had a blast.

Once we got back to school Penelope really wanted me to take her home with me.  They still had 2 and a half hours left of school so I wanted her to stay.  She ended up sitting on the carpet crying her eyes out while I was in the back watching, and hoping she would calm down so I could leave.  The kids kept telling the teacher that Penelope was crying.  I felt a little bad for her but I mostly felt bad for the teacher because of the big distraction she was causing.  So I pulled her out and took her home.  She of course stopped crying and smiled.  I didn't want her to think I was just giving in because she was crying so I made her do extra school work at home.  I also told her that I changed my mine, not because she was crying, but because I didn't want to come back to school and pick her up in two hours.

I'm glad that I got to go with Penelope.  Now that she is in school all day I feel like I don't get to spend very much time with her.  And it is always nice to see how they act in school and around their friends.

No comments: