Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Gamcheon Cultural Village/Busan day 2

We finished most things on our Busan list with time to spare so I voted we spend the morning checking out Gamcheon Cultural Village.  I'm so glad we did, because it was my favorite thing we had done so far.  It was this dying village built on a hill that the city decided to paint bright colors and at artwork throughout it.  They even sold maps of where to see the art for $2.  We bout a map and took the long route and saw almost every stop, although I saw a few art pieces not on the list.  The money they make from the maps goes back into the village.  It helps the people who live there with things like a laundry service, necessary updates on their house, a bath house for those who don't have showers, and even a scholarship fund.  Most people who lived there seemed pretty old and many of the houses were abandoned.

We decided to walk from the train stop, instead of hop on a bus, which we found out quickly was a mistake.  It was a long walk uphill, but we made it eventually.  And I saw one of my very faviorite pieces of art painted right on the side of a house.  This was at least 10 feet tall.

At the top they had an information center, where we bought the map, a museum, and a small shopping street.  I thought these phones in the museum were funny.
We purchased souvenir socks for the kids.
 Everyone was lined up taking pictures by this fish so I thought I'd take a picture of them.
 Here is a view of the city. 
We went on lots of little alleys and curved streets between houses.  I guess each house was built not to block the view of the one behind it.
 I think these pants were going the wrong way.


 This next painting was actually my favorite.
 I'm no stranger to large cotton candy, but this guy was pretty cute.











It was really fun for me.  Bob didn't enjoy it nearly as much, but he was patient as I made him take the longest recommended path through the town.  That night we went to Gwangalli beach. 
At this point I was ready for some American food and this burger place hit the spot.
 After dark we watched the bridge lighting and then lit off fireworks into the water.
 It was pretty cool.

No comments: