Thursday, January 17, 2019

Seven Lucky Gods Pilgrimage

We had so much fun on our seven lucky gods pilgrimage last year we decided to do it again this year.  Bob didn't get to go with us before and he had a rare Saturday off work so we made it happen.  Basically if you visit seven different shrines dedicated to seven specific Buddhist gods within the first weekish of January then you are supposed to get good luck for the year.  We are not Buddhist and don't worship their statues, but we participate as a fun Japanese tradition.
When we got to the first temple, we were a little perplexed.  We had no idea how to get inside to buy the little figurine.  I like to collect one of each.  We drove about 45 minutes to get there and were planning on making a day of it so I didn't want to just turn around and go back.  Thankfully a friend who had previously done the same tour was quick with messaging me directions on what to do.  We actually needed to take our shoes off and go inside.  That wasn't clear to me and I didn't see others doing it, so I'm not sure if I would have figured it out without her instructions.
 It was beautiful outside!  I'd say perfect for a sweater.  The kids kept going between coats on and off.




Along with buying the little statues to display we got the sign.  At each temple a Monk stamped it and wrote something on it.  I have no idea what it says, but I looks cool.  Watching them do the fancy writing was fun.

We needed to stop for lunch and these convenience steamed buns hit the spot.  This was my first time getting character ones.

 And on to some more temples.  I think the kids were tired of it before we finished all seven.  We even had one little driving snafu that involved Bob having to do some tricky backing up and me getting out of the car to direct.  I think Bob was ready to be done after that as well.  I was just happy to be out of the house and could have done a few more.
 I liked how this little garden had a real cherry blossom tree growing on it.


 Below is the finished product :)
Bob had a little bit of bad luck on the way home and vowed that this tour made him unlucky.  It was funny how it did seem pretty unlucky.  We needed to get on base and he forgot his badge.  If you are registered they can look  you up, but he had recently gotten a new badge and hadn't registered it yet so that wasn't an option.  Next on the way home he got his first ever ticket in Japan.  He didn't make a complete stop at a stop sign.  I will say the police officers were very polite and apologized to us for giving the ticket several times.  Now Bob just has to figure out how to pay it.  It is in Japanese, but we've been told he needs to go to the post office to pay it.

1 comment:

Talitha said...

I love steamed buns, those look so cute! maybe on my next visit :)