Sunday, September 15, 2019

First Day of School 2019

We started school up again shortly after we returned from Alaska.  The summer seemed to go by so quickly!  I wasn't ready to start and feel like school shouldn't start until after Labor day, but the public school was starting and the kids wanted to go ahead and start.
The first week was rough!  Bob was on a weird noon to midnight schedule so he got to be home during our homeschool time.  It was great having his help, but it was really hard to get back into the swing of homeschool.  I also got a bad cold, so that didn't help.

We did manage to take first day of school pictures.












Now that it has been a few weeks we have settled into a routine and things have gotten much easier.  I wasn't sure at first how we were going to work in a new History curriculum but so far we have manage to have time every week to get it done.  Next week I'm going to start Leon on harder and more time consuming language arts material, which I'm sure he is ready for.  My concern is that it will add about 30 minutes of one on one time he will need each day.

The only way I've been able to fit everything in is to extend our homeschool day.  The kids now start about 30 minutes earlier and sometimes we have some work to still do after lunch, whereas before we were able to get it all done by lunch (not counting quiet reading and individual work they do on their own).

It is exhausting, but fun at the same time.  I love that I get to spend the day working with the kids.  It is so cool to see their growth everyday and to be a part of it.  The fact that they get to go at their own pace and aren't compared to others is a nice bonus.  One of the biggest benefits of homeschooling is the family bonding it builds.  I love that my children play together for hours everyday.  There are days when I'm tired and think that it would be nice to just send the kids off to school, but when I really think about it feel that homeschooling is best option for us.

No comments: