Friday, April 3, 2020

Grocery Shopping During a Pandemic

Over the past couple of months things have really changed as far as grocery shopping goes.  We have been asked to shop on base only at the commissary.  We are not allowed to have more than one family member shopping at a time and military ID's are being checked at the door.  I heard someone wasn't even allowed on base and was turned around at the gate because the commissary was at capacity.  I fortunately have not had that problem.
While shopping we have been asked to keep a six foot distance from everyone else.  The next picture shows part of the line to get into the store.  See how nicely spread out we are?  I was just happy we had nice weather today.  I even thought going on a Thursday morning would me less crowds.  Maybe it was, I don't know what it was like on the other days.  But I did have to wait to get in.
The store is only allowing 65 customers inside at a time.
I took a few pictures of what they were out of, but this has changed from week to week.  This particular week there was no spinach but the next week had plenty. 
The toilet paper has been constantly low or out though for a while now.  And I haven't seen hand sanitizer at the store at all since this craziness started a few months ago.

They weren't out of carrots or tomatoes or anything, but I took a picture because I thought they were expensive.


 Anyway, the real problem this week was checking out.
Even with only allowing 65 customers in the store the line was long and very very slow.  As I reached the front I saw only one checker was working and no baggers.  I asked her when it was my turn and she said they are just not showing up.  She thinks it is because of the shelter in place order, even though people know they can still go to work.  I could tell she was going fast and working hard.  I felt bad for her and wanted to jump in and start bagging everyone, but I doubt that would have been allowed.  Besides Bob started working 11:30am to midnight so I really needed to get home and relieve him.

No comments: