Friday, September 18, 2020

Third Jappaniversary

We've past our third Jappaniversary and have officially lived overseas for more than three years now.  We like it enough here that we decided to extend our time and live in Japan for two more years.  If we didn't extend we would be back in Washington right now. 
There are many things that we love about living in Japan.  The general environment is really great.  The kids play outside everyday with neighborhood kids.  They go to the local parks for hours and just run around and use their imagination.  Sometimes I give them money and they go to the local 7/11 or grocery store to get ice cream or bread or eggs or whatever I need.  I don't have to worry about them being abducted or even hit by a car because the store is literally in our neighborhood.  

Our ward here is very friendly and supportive.  It is such a transient congregation that everyone is always welcoming and ready to help each other out.  I think that comes with being in a military ward, but this is our first time in a ward like that.  It is also a small ward where the majority of adults are 27-37 years old, so we fit in pretty well.

I like the weather anytime except for the summer.  June-September is pretty horrible here, but the rest of the year is so sunny.  It does get cold, but that doesn't bother me.  I really enjoy seeing the sky year round instead of so many cloudy days.  

Our house is much bigger and nicer than the one we had it Washington.  Plus get to live here rent and utility free.  Yes, I desperately miss central heating, but we do have AC which is a first for me.  I also miss having a yard, but not nearly as much as I thought I would.  The park is pretty much our yard.  Bob makes a similar amount of money but not paying for our house means we get to pocket a good chunk of change every month.  Money was definitely a factor when decided whether to extend or not.  

I love going for jogs on a beautiful boardwalk right along the water.  I never have to worry about getting hit by a car or attacked by the Bremerton strangler.  

Yes, things here are not perfect.  We really miss our families and also the freedoms that come with living in America and not being affiliated to the Navy.  The garbage situation here took me about a year to not be okay with.  Our shopping is pretty limited.  The library doesn't have half the books I want to check out, and on that note I miss the government paying for our homeschool supplies.  Our car is not great, and neither is our church building.  All that being said I think we made the right choice to stay a couple more years.


One of the best things about living in Japan is how much we have grown as individuals and as a family.  Moving really forces a family and siblings to rely and bond with each other.  We learn and grow so much by just living overseas.  It is interesting and exciting to do new things and go to new places where we don't speak the language and can't even read the signs.  It is like we are toddlers learning about the world.  We really get to see and experience a completely different culture and way of life.  It has been hard to adjust to but totally worth it.


No comments: