Sunday, October 11, 2020

Penelope's Birthday Party

Penelope sometimes puts a lot of thought into things and her birthday was one of those things.  She had been thinking for a month about what she wanted and what her cake should look like.  At first she didn't have any ideas for what she wanted so I was the one asking her and got this whole thing started.  I also knew that it often takes a month for us to order things online and we have limited shopping options so we usually buy online.  I had to figure it out early.  She said she really wanted a large teddy bear.  At least as big as Leon's hippo.  We measured and it is about 44", so a pretty good sized stuffed animal.  I wanted to buy her the giant one Costco sells but it is over $200 and way beyond our present budget.  

We ended up finding one online that said it was big, but it had mixed reviews so we were all waiting on edge as she opened the package to see how it would be.  It came prewrapped in this bag so Bob and I did not see it beforehand.  Many of the ones online were deflated looking so we weren't sure.

It is huge!
It is longer than her bed and she loves it.  The only downside is that now all the kids want their own giant teddy bear and we just don't have room for that sort of thing.
For her cake she had drawn me several pictures and even made an origami replica.  I tried my best but the pink frosting just wouldn't stick.  She ended up really liking it was was totally happy about it. 
She invited a few people over and had a friends party.  It was a little difficult because we had to limit it to 10 people including Penelope, Scarlett, and me.  I made sure to do it during naptime so Calista and Beatrix didn't need to be counted and Tucker and Leon left and went elsewhere.  I'm ok with only inviting seven people.  That is a decent number, I just feel horrible to leave anyone out.  There are many girls her age in our ward right now and it seems like most of them have sisters who are Scarlett's age who would also like to come.  We ended up with ten exactly.  

We did a paint party.  All I did was buy some painting supplies and find a youtube paint party video.  It was an hour long, longer with our pauses, and the girls all had a good time.  I loved how all their paintings turned out differently. After that we ate cupcakes and ice cream and the girls ran around playing hide a seek for a few minutes before their parents came.   I can't seem to find the memory card that I took the pictures with though.  So I quickly took another one of just Penelope and Scarlett and their paintings.  Hopefully one day I'll find the rest of the pictures, but I wanted to take a quick one just in case.
And thats a wrap.  Even with all the restrictions we managed to have three out of four friends birthday parties.  Scarlett's was a no go so she will have a friends party next year even though no one else will, I like the every other year thing.

No comments: