Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Summer Fun

This summer went by way too quickly.  I'll start this post with a picture of the kids on their last day of school.  Calista and Beatrix actually went for about another month, but it was the older four's last day.
With Bob, Tucker, and I working we didn't go on any trips.  The kids had lots of time to be at home and use their imaginations and just play.  I did have a list of things they had to do each day, 1hr outside, 1hr reading, 15 minutes, math facts, and 15 minutes typing.  If they finished what they needed to do and the house was clean then they could each choose one show to watch.  
I was feeling guilty for working while the kids were home.  This is my first summer working during the days but it was totally fine.  During June I worked 9-5 so I was home in the mornings with them.  Then July and August I went to part time when I usually worked 11-3 or 4.  The kids didn't seem to mind at all that I was gone.  In the mornings I would try to hang out with them before work and often they just wanted to read and not really interested in playing with me.  
Everyone likes out cat Mochi, even Tucker who claims he doesn't.  I see him petting and holding Mochi all the time.  He is the only one of the kids brave enough to pick him up.  Mochi has never hurt anyone but I couple times he has swiped at people who were getting in his face or picking him up from his belly.  One time he bit Scarlett but he didn't break skin.  He is really a good cat and loves people.  Just don't get his belly and you will be fine.  But he has the kids scared to pick him up.

While Tucker was gone at camp Leon was determined to keep his room spotless in order to prove that it is Tucker's fault the room is always messy.  I will say that Leon kept the room really clean that week.
Scarlett got a couple of blueberries on her plant.  She is hoping to get more next year.
The kids practiced their baking skills and made several desserts.  Penelope even copied down about 30 recipes and made her own recipe book.  Below is a meringue with whipped cream and kiwi on top.  It was really good.

One day we saw a crab on our front steps.  He was about three inches wide.  I stepped right over him without noticing, but Scarlett screamed when she saw him.
This next picture is of our gardener.  The come periodically to tend to our trees.  This time they brought a big truck that lifted them up to get the top of the tree.  The girl in the photo has on a jacket with fans on it.  I see Japanese people wearing these all the time during the summer here.  
We made it to paint night.
All the kids had their check ups and we even got caught up on shots and dentist appointments.

We played lots of games.
We went to a Harry Potter party at the USO.

Leon scored some watermelon.
And of course we have been going to church.
I feel like that was a pretty good sum up of our summer.  I have some more specific things I'll post about in coming days.  But just as summer is coming to a close I feel like we were getting into a pretty good routine.  While I am not looking forward to the kids being in school I am looking forward to cooler weather.  Too bad I'll have to wait until at least October for that.

No comments: