Monday, June 15, 2020

Mamachari Bike

I got a new bike!  After two years of free and rusty bikes I broke down and spent a good amount of money on a fancy Japanese mamachari bike.

Out with the old.  I was riding this bike around with Calista on the back and Beatrix was strapped to me in a baby carrier.  It really wasn't so bad, but it was hot to ride around with a baby on my back.
And in with the new.
 This bike is electric and so easy to pedal uphill.  It's pretty cool and super common here in Japan.  I probably couldn't drive to base one time without seeing ten people riding these bikes on the sidewalk.  I think some people get one of these instead of a car. 

One funny thing was when we were looking for a bike at the store they were being advertised as the safest mode of transportation during covid-19.

We took our bikes and rode to base on Wednesday to celebrate the end of the school year.  We basically just rode to McDonalds, got everyone large milkshakes, ran around in the grass, then bought food and ate until everyone felt sick, and lastly rode bikes back home.  It was fun family bonding time.
I'm happy I got the bike.  I've wanted one for a couple years, but always debated because I'm just not sure if I will use it enough to justify the price.  But so far it has been worth it.  Time will tell.

1 comment:

Mary-Anne said...

Wow, that bike looks awesome!