Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving


We had a great Thanksgiving this year. I was in charge of making the rolls, so on Wednesday I went ahead and got started. I doubled the recipe because over 20 family members came over to my parents house for the holiday. Well, after I waited for three hours it looked like the rolls weren't rising, so I went to Safeway to buy some new yeast. After making new rolls and waiting for those to rise I noticed that they looked exactly like the last double batch I made. So I tried cooking a couple from each batch and they all turned out great. Long story short, I ended up with over 100 rolls (some of which are in my kitchen right now) for Thanksgiving dinner.

On Thanksgiving day Bob, Tucker, and I got to my parents house around 11:30 where we just hung out and played games until the big meal. It was really nice to be around family and see people we don't get to see very often. Dinner was delicious, and as usual I was so full I barely had any desert. Oh well.

Unfortunately Bob had to work on Friday so he couldn't go shopping with me, my mom, and my sister. I woke up at 4:30 a.m. so I could be at walmart before the sale begins at 5. While I was making rolls I managed to break both of the hand held mixers we owned. I took it as a sign that we needed to invest in a Kitchen Aid. The mixer usually sells for well over $200 depending on the model, but walmart was selling them on Friday for only $130. When I got to walmart I had about 5 minutes to find the KitchenAids so I could be there when they were up for grabs. I asked a worker who pointed me in the right direction. When I got there, it was one of the worst shopping situations I had imagined. They had only 10 mixers (none in the back or anything) and I was the 12th persone there waiting. About 5-10 people arrived after me all waiting to snag a great deal. When over the PA they announced for the sale to begin and the employee cut the plastic wrapping that was gaurding them things got intense. Within about 5 seconds all of the KitchenAids were gone except for one and I saw two other people along with me all reaching for it. Somehow I was able to pull it close to me even though they both had their hands on it, and it was mine! I was really excited so i just checked out right away and was done at walmart at about 5:03 a.m. After waiting for my family to be done at walmart we also went to Target, Old Navy, Game Stop, Fred Meyer, Costco, and Best Buy. It was a fun, but long morning.


No comments: