X-L tee shirt
(the more X's the better! I used and x-l and it was just enough fabric for me but if they had bigger I would have gotten it.)
Old skirt to model after
Cut the tee shirt around the skirt giving yourself a half inch extra on the sides and 1 full extra inch on top.
Also make sure the top of your skirt goes in about an inch widthwise for your waistband.
Below you can see my pieces.
2) Cut the bottom of the shirt off and make it about 2-4 inches wide (depending on what you have left and how wide you want the ruffle). Then cut 2-4 inches off the end of each sleeve. You should now have three loops all the same width.
Cut each loop one time down the middle so you now have three strips.
3) Pin the strips ends together making sure right sides are touching. You should now have one long loop. Sew them together.
You are almost done with the ruffle.
4) Now back to the skirt. Pin right sides together and sew down both sides leaving a 1/2 seam.
5) Fold the top hem down two times and fold it over. Sew it.
6) Back to the ruffle (giant loop). Make it into a ruffle by sewing your widest stitch along 1/4" down from the top or unhemmed side. Make sure not to back stitch at the beginning or end. Once that is done grab and end piece of thread and gently pull on it while bunching the fabric. Keep doing this and working with it until the loop is the same length as the bottom of your skirt.
Pin it to the bottom of the skirt, putting right sides together and sew it on.
Now you have your own custom made $2.50 ruffle skirt! I got the original idea here so check it out, although keep in mind that I changed it a little bit.