Thursday, July 18, 2013

Kitsap Live Steamers

Last Saturday we went to a local train park called Kitsap Live Steamers.  It is the cutest park that has real mini trains you can ride around.  The ride is probably about 3 minutes long and the kids just love it.  Scarlett was a little hesitant at first but once we started going she thought it was the best thing.
It was a busy day at the park so we had to wait about 10 minutes for our turn to ride.  The kids didn't seem to mind because they got to watch the trains coming and going.  I thought Scarlett looked super cut in my glasses.
One thing I wanted to do to make it more fun for the kids was to teach them a little bit about trains before we left.  So on Friday we had a little homeschool session where we talked about trains.  Then we sang the I've been working on the railroad song, and read The Little Engine that Could.  Next the kids each drew a picture of a train using only basic shapes.  We also watched Dinosaur Train.  I think it made things more meaningful when we got to the park.


This next picture is of the diesel train, but they also had steam engines running.  We got to ride both and everyone preferred the steam engine.  It seemed to go faster and the kids loved it when the steam shot out.
It is all volunteers who run the park.  And it doesn't even cost money.  It just runs off of donations!  I am really grateful for all the work that gets put into it.
Here is our little family getting ready to go.

4 comments:

Stylishly in love said...

Beautiful pictures of of and the family.

Sofia

Stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

Malanda @ Outnumbered by Little Boys! said...

That train looks like so much fun! I'm sure my boys would love that. Great pictures!

Gayle Daly said...

Where is this?

KariMarie said...

You told me it was closed because of vandalism. I'll have to go back. The kids ask about it a lot.