Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Chore Chart Tutorial

Ever since Tucker started school I loved using a chart to help him get ready.  It started with just little drawings on paper that showed what he needed to do.  It completely eliminated me telling him over and over again what to do in the mornings. But lately I have been slacking and his paper is long gone.  I was recently inspired by a friend to give my children chore charts so I combined the two.

I made the kids clip board chore charts with a dry erase marker so they can be in charge of checking their own things off.  I made two columns, one for in the morning and one for after school.  The kids know that right when they wake up they need to start working on their charts.  And if they finish before it is time to go then they can play.  Even Scarlett loves marking her stuff off.

A couple things I love about these charts:

1. I just printed in regular paper so it will be really easy to reprint and adjust their chores as needed.
2. The kids are in charge of checking it off and at the end of the day I give them a smily face if they completed everything.  This way it gives them responsibility but they know that I'll be monitoring.
3. The dry erase markers are attached so they wont get lost.
4. The pictures because while Scarlett isn't old enough to read she is old enough to have chores.
5. They only cost about $2 each to make.

Last week I did help them a bit to get them used to the whole thing, but they know that now that school is back on they need to do it on their own.
Materials:
clip board
paint
card stock/printer
plastic page protector
dry erase marker
string

1) Get your materials ready.
2) Tape off the metal part and paint your clip board.  I used both wall paint and spray paint.  Both worked well and I'm sure craft paint would do great too.
I wanted to get the kids involved in making these so I let them paint their own.  they loved it.  The only problem was Tucker knocked over his paint so now we have a big blue spot on our porch.

3) Make your chart.  Mine are 7" by 10" and I just put together free clip art I found off the internet.  It would probably be easy to do in word although I used photoshop.

Penelope's morning: 

Prayer
Breakfast
Make bed
Brush teeth
Get dressed
Get her school stuff ready Hair

Afternoon: 
Put school stuff away
Wash hands
Pick up clothes
5 minute house clean up
Set the table 
Reading



Scarlett's is very similar except she doesn't need to get her school stuff ready or set the table.
Tucker's Morning:

Prayer
Breakfast
Make bed
Brush teeth
Get dressed
Get school stuff ready
Work on Spelling

Afternoon:
Put school stuff away
Wash hands
Empty Dishwasher
5 minute house clean up
Homework
Reading

I Also added a few chores in the bottom part that I am supposed to check off.  Those chores only needed to be done once a week.  So Tuesday is bathroom day, Wednesday is laundry and Thursday is clean and vacuum room day.

4) The next step is to either laminate your charts or put them into pocket protectors.  I did the protectors because we had them and I know it will be easy to switch them out.  Because my papers were smaller than normal paper I just folded the edges of the plastic back and taped them behind.

5) The last step is to tie on the marker and hand them up.  At first ours were hung up and they kept getting moved around the house and in the way.  Having a designated spot is a must!



I love the the kids new chore charts!

No comments: