Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Mori Digital Art Museum

We took advantage of Bob not working on Veterans day and went to the Mori Digital Art Museum in Tokyo.  It was amazing!  Seriously, I heard really good things about it, but it was expensive for our whole family to go and I wasn't sure how cool projections on the wall could be.  I am so glad we went.  It totally lived up to the hype and did not disappoint.
We got there a few minutes before opening and still had to wait in line for about 20 minutes.  I also bought our tickets about a month in advance because they do sell out and I had previously went to get tickets about a week early for a different day and they were sold out.  We were a little stressed going through the gate because the tickets said, "Only two children per adult."  That is not unheard of here in Japan.  But thankfully no one said anything to us.  We were hoping they would count Calista as a baby because she didn't require a ticket.  In the end I'm not sure they saw her, Bob had her on his back in the carrier and I was the one to give the tickets.

In the above picture of Scarlett we were on this huge net thing and the images were projecting and moving on the walls all around us.  We laid down for the show part and took some pictures as we tried to walk out.  I think they called it the nest room.
This whole place was all about ambiance.  Everything was all black except for the projections, making it dark inside, with just enough light that you don't feel weird about their being no lights on.  Then there was this mystic music playing the whole time.  One unsettling thing we were warned about was that the floor wasn't flat, just one more thing to throw us off.  And we were told that there were no maps or directions.  We were meant to wander throughout the museum everyone going different ways at different times.  The art in the rooms were also changing so the same room could look different at different times.  I thought that would mean we would get lost for sure, but we didn't have a problem.  I hope we saw everything there, but I really can't be sure of that.

Calista absolutely loved it!  She had so much fun walking around and touching the walls.  I think it is probably her favorite place in the world right now.
 The lantern room was pretty amazing.



 The last area was more interactive.

 The kids had a blast running through these hot air balloon things.
 This last picture is of the kids on a huge trampoline.
I think it would be great to go here again someday before we leave Japan.

No comments: