Friday, November 6, 2020

Indigo Dying

Indigo dying is an old Japanese tradition.  The blue dye comes from the Japanese indigo plant called Persicaria tinctoria.  I've done it a few times now but I think this is my first time taking pictures.  I usually forget and it is a little hard anyway when your hands are covered in blue.  

This time I wasn't really sure what to dye so I just did a white cloth.  In the past I did a tote bag and also a scarf.  I wanted to do shirts for everyone in my family but they said they wouldn't wear them, so I decided not to waste the money.

I forgot to get a picture beforehand but you can picture a white rectangle.


The end result kind of reminds me of one of those ink blot tests.  I'm not even sure what I was going for.  Last time I did cool deliberate patterns.  This time I just randomly put the rubber bands on to see how things came out.


No comments: